Modern Sprout is a fast-growing Chicago-based design shop and manufacturer that has become a leader in the grow-your-own movement with its innovative indoor and outdoor garden-focused lifestyle goods. The genius behind the brand is translating the logic and utility of hydroponic growing systems into simple, stylish, and sustainable products that thrive inside the average home. Modern Sprout’s collection of over 100 SKUs has introduced a new and highly sought-after category to home and gift retailers – gifts that grow. In addition to selling direct-to-consumer, our rapidly growing retail footprint includes major national chains and an amazing list of independent boutiques/stores.
We are seeking an Accounting Associate to assist the organization with routine bookkeeping entries, payroll entry and some limited human resources filings and compliance. This is a full time, in office (Chicago) exempt position and reports to the Corporate Controller.
Routine Bookkeeping (80%)
• Post incoming invoices from suppliers and vendors into inventory management, accounting, and bill payment systems.
• Manage and track prepaid deposits on purchases.
• Classify and record banking transactions.
• Post payments received from customers to accounting system.
• Monitor accounts receivable aging and follow up as needed.
• Manage select account registers to aid in month end reconciliation process.
• Manage vendor and customer account records.
• Support the Corporate Controller with analyses and reconciliations on an as needed basis.
• Review time input from time clock attendance system.
• Log and record payroll adjustments such as reimbursements and commission payments.
• Review pending approved time off requests.
• Digitally file all employee forms on payroll/HR platform.
• Assist employees and supervisors with the timely and accurate completion of HR forms.
• Serve as an in-office resource for all employees with understanding and complying with our Employee Manual.
• Support for other projects as needed.
• Serve as a liaison with Corporate Counsel for more complex matters.
• Bachelor or Associates Degree in Accounting.
• Intermediate proficiency in QuickBooks Online – required.
• QuickBooks Certified ProAdvisor – desirable.
• Intermediate proficiency with Gusto - our HR/payroll platform – desirable.
• Experience using Inventory Management systems – desirable.
• Fluent English, conversational in Spanish – desirable.
• Tech savvy and process oriented with strong critical thinking skills; someone who is able to adopt to our existing systems.
• Intermediate proficiency with Microsoft Office especially Excel.
• Strong oral and written communication skills – high attention to detail.
• A team player with a love for collaborating and the ability to work within different internal groups to enhance the customer experience.
• Flexible, curious, and willing to ask questions and investigate solutions. Thrives in an entrepreneurial and fast-paced environment and understands that comes with ambiguity.
• Organized with strong ability to multitask and manage several pressing demands throughout the day.
• Green thumb and love for plants is always appreciated!
• Full-time, salaried position. Competitive compensation based on experience.
• Modern Sprout offers and supports the premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance, and also provides a matching 401(k) and short-term disability insurance for all employees.
• Modern Sprout provides flexible PTO.
In short, we value our employees for being talented and good people. How you identify as a person, what your family’s background is, how you celebrate and express your moral and/or religious beliefs, what physical or health limitations you have (that will not stop your spirit and your talent!)—none of that matters in the Modern Sprout workplace, so long as you respect your fellow workers and live up to your potential as an employee and team member here at Modern Sprout. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment by and advancement within Modern Sprout without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.TO APPLY:
Submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications without cover letters will not be accepted.